Date Registered: 10-2011
Location: Darwin, NT
TOTAL POSTS: 325
Re: BUYING A USED 6SPEED, WHAT TO LOOK OUT FOR.
I have an TL Automatic, but there are a few common things to look out for.
- Make sure it has been carefully serviced in accordance with the manual - the M9R Diesel is very unforgiving to being abused.
- Take the air filter out of the air box and have a look at how much oil has soaked the air filter. A small amount of spattering is fairly normal but be wary if it is completely soaked with oil. See the separate thread on this issue. Also be wary if a Provent has been fitted - this may link to the same problem - again, read the thread on this issue, it has been exhaustively documented!
- Ask the owner about how old the EGR valve is and when it was last removed and cleaned.
- Find out whether the car has had any problems with the diesel particulate filter. In particular, be wary of a TS or TL that has spent the majority of its life doing stop/start city driving.
- Put the car under load up a hill, put the foot down and listen to the turbocharger for any suspect noises.
- Listen to the wheel bearings on a smooth road - listen for noise.
- Examine the turbo intercooler for any signs of damage.
- Listen to the usual suspect noises from the gearbox - bearing noises, clutch throwout bearing noise etc.
- If you get a TL, check the sunroof for signs of leaks and check its correct operation when opening.
Despite some threads to the contrary, the TS and TL are both great cars and if driven carefully and not mollycoddled too much (the M9R likes to be given a bit of a rev, and hates being driven like a tractor!), you will get plenty of years of pleasure from the car.
I hope some of this helps.
Last edited by Exywarrior, 21/Oct/2014, 10:05 pm
2011 Series 4 T31 TL Auto - Twilight, factory towbar, factory mats, tinting, Cooper CS5s, cathodic protection, paint protection, yada yada...and no Provent
21/Oct/2014, 9:58 pm