Re: NISSAN Service Costs Comparison T31 X-Trail
posted by Banzai69
just finished all 24 pages of the T30 service cost thread (and related threads). Must say this is an eye-opener for me. All the time i've owned cars and i have never really taken any pre-cautions or checked the mechanics and just happily (sometimes, unhappily) paid.
Ok, let me attempt to sum it up, please feel free to add to make it more comprehensive for newbies like me.
To save cost (as times are tough):
1) Shop around and obtain the quotes/prices from various dealers and independent certified mechanics like Ultratune etc. Prices vary between dealers. Make sure you tell the service manager to approach you before adding in parts that will result in added costs. Do not be afraid to challenge them on the final costs if the pricing is unreasonable.
2) Bring own plugs (any recommended brands, some members use NGK Iridium)
3) Bring own oil filter (any recommended brands, some members use K&N)
4) Bring own engine oil (any recommended brand, viscosity etc)
To double check that work was actually performed:
1) Mark parts (how is this done and using what?)
2) Double check the dipstick to ensure appropriate oil level before you leave the workshop
1) Nissan warranty is the one to worry about. As long as you fulfil the log book servicing conditions, which entails checking/replacement of certain parts at pre-determined intervals by certified mechanics, all should be ok.
2) Major servicing (40k, 80k etc.) should be performed at the dealership as this will entail using of specialised equipment that may not be widely available at independent mechanics.
Any further input is greatly appreciated.
X-Trail T31 | Tints, Reverse Sensors, Roof racks, Bonnet Protector, Cargo Mat
8/Sep/2009, 6:19 pm