Got the engine rebuilt through Christmas/New Year and with the limited travelling and working from home due to Covid just finished the run-in.
The Xtrail was down on power and using more fuel so a stretched timing chain was suspected and had to be replaced. While it was out I decided on a full rebuild because the engine had 196,000kms on it and it was not much more to do it at the time rather than pull it out again sometime soon.
Lucky I did as we found a bent #1 cylinder piston rod, being a result of my hydrolocking the engine during a creek crossing about 10 years ago. This was obviously the cause of the low compression on that cylinder compared to the rest and possibly a contributer to the loss of power.
All up I had the following done...
- new timing chain
- new timing chain cam phaser (recommended when replacing chain)
- replace bent piston rod
- new exhaust valves
- full rebuild kit of bushes, bearings and seals
- machine cylinders in block
- head decked
- new MLS head gasket and bolts
- new injector seals and pintel filter baskets
After the run-in it feels so much better in both power and response.
Good for another 200,000kms hopefully.
Power Folding Mirrors
The T30 in Australia was introduced with many "standard" features available on T30 models overseas missing from ours.
One item in particular was Power Folding Mirrors.
A feature of our Xtrails however is that a good 90% or more of the wiring was installed for all the options and equipment available across the global range of Xtrails and this easily facilitates the fitment of options not installed as standard by Nissan in Australia.
All I had to do was source a replacement control switch and the power folding motors from overseas. Luckily there was a member on the Xtrail-UK forum who is also a "breaker" selling off parts. So I contacted him and he shipped over the parts I required.
A weekend spent removing and dismantling my mirrors, installing the folding motors, then reassembling and reinstalling and success.
Handy function for 4WDing to fold the passenger mirror getting through a tight spot instead of reaching across the passenger's seat or for easily getting in and out of the garage :)
Replacement of most Underbody Bushes
Replaced the underbody bushes
- bushes and links for the rear sway bar
- rear parallel and trailing arms and bushes
- bushes and links for the front sway bar
- front transfer arm with bushes and ball joints.
Also replaced the power belt and tensioner.
Aircon compressor replacement
After 12 years the aircon compressor had finally had enough. Got the system tested when it failed to blow any bit of cool air and the compressor had failed.
Well with compressors being around $1600 from the dealer and around $1100+shipping from Amayama I decided to see if anyone in Aus either reconditioned aircon compressors or sold reconditioned ones as a swap.
Found a company in Rockhampton which sold reconditioned and new compressors. Sent them an enquiry and got the reply "Sorry no reconditioned compressors for your model but we have new ones for $485 shipped to Sydney"
So I checked they were a direct bolt-on replacement with same mounting points, pipe fittings and clutch-pulley. It was.
The guy there, Steven, knows all the Xtrail models, making sure mine was a T30 and explaining it was the same compressor in the Series 1 and Series 2 but for the T31 there were 3 different compressor models.
So when the compressor arrived 2 days later I checked it with the old one and yes, exactly the same.
The aircon place fitted it no hassle, $300 for regas, new O-rings and labour.
Very happy I now have cold air and no fogging of the windows in wet weather but most importantly the greatest price around for a new aircon compressor with 12 month/20,000kms warranty :o)
Update on work done
It's been a while and I should update where I am at with work on the Xtrail.
It is getting on in years (11 now) so expectedly there has been some replacements needed to keep it running.
I finished the replacement of the rear engine mount and a DIY can be found on the forum for both.
The transfer pinion rear bearing and seal was also replaced, done by a diff-rebuilding 4WD shop after I removed the transfer pinion assembly from the Xtrail. Easy enough to do after dropping the tailshaft. A DIY for this should be on the forum also.
There was the steering knuckle joint which had one axis freeze too. There is not a DIY as such for this on the forum but the thread I posted trying to determine what was the problem causing my steering problems has pics and an explaination of how to replace it.
Last to be done was replacing all 4 struts with KYB gas and both front driveshafts. DIYs for these will be on the forum soon.